Sunday, June 2, 2013

Boston Strong

Not one for bucket lists, but running the Boston Marathon would be one of them. In October of 2011, I qualified for Boston at the Three Country Marathon in Europe with a time of 3:16. When we found out last year we would be moving back stateside I immediately signed up for Boston. I was so excited.  I trained as much as I could outside but a lot inside due to the many feet of snow we received in Kansas. I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to have been but finished my training plan. Off to Boston we went. Not only for the race of a lifetime but also some much needed time with my honey. 
 Out for a quick pre race run.
 Erik and I had a blast exploring the city, eating out, dancing and just being with each other.








 We had a delicious seafood dinner at Union Oyster House.



 Followed by drinks and dancing at a little Irish pub and a run in with Sam Adams.
 Red Sox game and some real chowduh.


Spaghetti dinner. 
 Finished in 3:29. What an awesome race.
Loved the billboard behind me.
Celebrating with some champagne. 
 
The last few blocks of the race on Boylston street. The crowd, the energy....everything was perfect. 
And then in a blink of an eye, that amazing experience and body rush came to a complete stop. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the bombings.  Our fun vacation turned to a somber silence. I thank God that my family was safe and that I finished before the bombs went off. I still pray for the healing of those affected.  
Boylston street after the bombs. 

So happy to be home with these monkeys. Lukas was so proud to wear his new shirt and my medal to school the next day.

















No comments:

Post a Comment